Over recent weeks we have received information or seen items in the press which relate to children being approached inappropriately via online multiplayer Apps such as Roblox, Miniclip and Friv!.
If you have a specific concern you may wish to give the following advice to parents/carers:
- Talk to your children about the different apps they use.
- Familiarise yourself with the different functions on the sites they use. Consider disabling chat functions, or ensuring that an age appropriate options are in place.
- Be aware that Roblox and similar sites such as Miniclip and Friv contain a mix of user generated games and environments, some of which are designed for over 18's, set some rules about what your children are allowed to do online, and consider parental supervision while your child is using certain platforms.
- Limit the amount of time your child spends playing games.
- Ensure your child knows to tell you if they are approached online by people they don't know.
- If you see anything which causes you concern, please take screenshots, report it to the website and to your local Police. You could also report it to https://ceop.police.uk/safety-centre
Also note that the UK Safer Internet Centre offers an online safety helpline for professionals working with children, the details are as follows:
The UK Safer Internet Centre offers professionals who work with children across the UK with support, advice and mediation regarding online safety issues.